Dating from the 1840s, this was once the family burial ground of the Pickens family, planters, of Caddo Parish. These forces were defeated however by the Confederate forces under Lieut.
Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1977.
General Churchills Division marching north from Shreveport along Red River turned east on Wire Road towards Red Land. A mill behind the residence was used to grind grain for soldiers of both armies. The Louisiana Secession Ordinance was adopted here in January 1861.
This house has been used as an office, home, schoolhouse, and museum. A short distance west of here facing the road, the home of William Robertson was used for the care of Federal Soldiers wounded in a skirmish near by. This Gothic Revival structure was designed by James Harrison Dakin.
with headquarters at Shreveport, March 7, 1863, and commanded until May 26, 1865. Died March 28, 1893, while professor at University of the South, Sewanee, Florida. Casualties were heavy, and the Union commander, General Thomas Williams, was killed.
Breckinridge attacked from the east in an unsuccessful attempt to dislodge Union forces holding the city.
On August 5, 1862, Confederate troops from Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana under General John C.
Founded 1849 as first parish seat for Bienville Parish. Abraham Lincoln, was killed one-quarter mile southwest of here at a bridge over Wards Creek.
For this purpose a military road was established from Nibletts Bluff to Alexandria. Miles Legion comprised of Confederate troops from Louisiana and units of General C. Augurs division of Union forces advancing on Port Hudson. On this site stood the home where Sarah Morgan Dawson (1842-1909) wrote A Confederate Girls Diary which has become a Civil War classic.
In 1862, when the Federal troops captured New Orleans and blockaded the mouth of the Mississippi River, Taylors army, then in Central Louisiana, retreated from Banks army and it became necessary to furnish them with supplies. The diary depicts the occupation of Baton Rouge by Union forces.
Also known as Norwood's Plantation, fought May 18, 1864. General Richard Taylor's Confederate army failed to prevent Union army crossing Atchafalaya River at Simmesport. Basement used to hide cotton from Union troops during Civil War. In 1862 organized Sparta Guards for the Confederacy. Fall of Port Hudson opened river, hastening fall of Confederacy.
In 1862, when the Federal troops captured New Orleans and blockaded the mouth of the Mississippi River, Taylors army, then in Central Louisiana, retreated from Banks army and it became necessary to furnish them with supplies. After the war railroad line came to parish but bypassed Sparta by six miles. On May 21, 1863, a two-story building near this site housing Youngs store and the Plains Masonic Lodge was the center of a battle between Colonel William R.