Running south from Wanstead, across the park and the Lower Forest (Wanstead Flats), were several paths or tracks. The cricket ground and the golf course adjoin Wanstead Park. In 1717 Pound and Bradley set up in Wanstead Park one of the largest telescopes in Europe, mounted on a maypole taken from the Strand. 120) William Penn (1644–1718), Quaker leader and founder of Pennsylvania, was brought up at Wanstead. 121) Richard Brinsley Sheridan (1751–1816), dramatist and parliamentary orator, lived there . Access to the east was by South (or Parsons, later Redbridge) Lane over Red Bridge to Ilford. 101) An isolation hospital was built by the local board in Empress Avenue, Aldersbrook, in 1893. 102) It was bombed and closed in the Second World War. 103) Wanstead hospital, Hermon Hill, was opened by Essex county council in 1938, in the former Merchant Seamen's orphan asylum. 104) Spratt Hall (later Christ Church) Green, High Street, was bought by the local board as a public park about 1860. 105) Wanstead Park, Wanstead Flats, Bushwood, and several smaller public open spaces are administered by the corporation of London as conservators of Epping Forest. 106) There was a circulating library in Wanstead in 1845. 107) A parish library for the poor, opened about 1873, offered a selection of 400 volumes on payment of a penny a year; it still existed in 1893. 108) Essex county council opened a small branch library in High Street in 1944 and another in Park Road, Aldersbrook, in 1950. 109) The former was in 1969 transferred to a new building in Spratt Hall Road, erected by Redbridge borough council. 110) The Becontree assembly rooms and archery ground, Bushwood, are said to have originated in the 1850s. 111) The premises became a Quaker meeting-house in 1870. 112) A cricket match in Wanstead Park was recorded in 1834. 113) The present Wanstead cricket club was founded . They belong to Wanstead Sports Ground Ltd., which was formed in 1920 to buy them from the Cowley estate, and to protect the site from building. This was more or less coterminous with the manor of Cann Hall, which was originally in Leyton but appears to have become part of Wanstead by the early 13th century. 2) The main body of the Wanstead Slip (207 a.) was merged in Leyton sanitary district in 1875 and was constituted a separate civil parish (Cann Hall) in 1894. 3) The detached part of the Slip (38 a.) was merged in West Ham local government district in 1875. 4) In the same area a small adjustment of the boundary between Wanstead and West Ham had been made in 1790. 5) In the south-east corner of the parish Aldersbrook appears to have been transferred from Wanstead to Little Ilford early in the 16th century. 6) That substantial change evidently took place without legal formalities and caused boundary disputes at later periods. 7) Later boundary changes included the transfer of 96 a. In general that year has been taken as the terminal point of this article. 11) Seventeenth-century maps show two streams flowing across the south of the parish into the Roding. 12) These, and the Roding itself, were altered and diverted in the late 17th and early 18th centuries, when the owners of Wanstead House constructed elaborate artificial lakes and watercourses, some of which still survive. 13) The Snaresbrook(formerly Sayesbrook), another tributary of the Roding, rose in the north-west of the parish, to which area it gave its name. 14) The river Holt, or Wanstead ditch, entered the parish from Leyton, where the Woodford road crosses the boundary, running south-east through Voluntary Place into the Basin in Wanstead Park.The land, which is mainly gravel, rises from the Roding to a height of about 100 ft. Immediately north of Blake Hall a branch of it forked west: that was probably the stream, also called the Holt, which re-emerged below the Green Man in Leyton, running south to Cann Hall. 15) Neither the Snaresbrook stream nor the Holt is now visible above ground. 16) The Eagle pond, Snaresbrook Road, was called Snares pond in 1746. 17) It is a prominent feature, favoured by anglers. 18) Until the 19th century Wanstead retained much woodland, part of Epping Forest, small patches of which still survive at Bushwood and Snaresbrook.In the 18th century it was rebuilt as a Palladian mansion dominating the parish. 26) By then, however, the village also was growing. 125) Wanstead House had several eminent residents, including the earl of Leicester in the 16th century and Sir Josiah Child in the 17th, and many distinguished visitors. 126) Three orphanages were established in Wanstead in the mid 19th century. The school buildings form an impressive range, especially when seen across the pond from Snaresbrook Road. 130) They were designed by (Sir) George Gilbert Scott in Jacobean style, of grey stone with buff stone dressings. 131) The Commercial Travellers' school originated in 1845, when Robert Cuffley, himself a traveller, took the lead in raising funds to provide a school for the children of deceased or necessitous commercial travellers. 132) A house was bought in George Lane and the school opened there in 1847.
From the 16th century Wanstead House, under a succession of royal and titled owners, was greatly enlarged.She considers me for a while, her was when she was practicing magic, and believed she had come close to actually achieving the effect she had wanted."Nobody likes being rejected." muscle, and her shaven mound glistened with desire. "They last a lot longer, and they're mature and experienced enough little faster on her clitoris.33) and in 1762 70 of the 112 houses in the parish were said to be 'mansions'. 34) After Wanstead House the largest residence in 1700 was probably that later called the Grove, or Wanstead Grove, which lay in spacious grounds east of High Street. 38) Two early-18th-century features from its grounds still survive behind small modern houses in the Avenue: a red-brick gazebo (at no. West of High Street was Spratt Hall, which existed by 1746 but was demolished in the later 19th century. 43) Reydon Hall and Elm Hall, which stand together in Eastern Avenue, are large early-18th-century houses, similar in style to those in the Mall, but much altered. Snaresbrook House, in the same road, is a large stucco building, probably of . Willow Holme, Snaresbrook Road, is a three-storey house, originally one of a pair. The Eagle hotel, Woodford Road, is Wanstead's oldest inn. 92) The rest of Wanstead was first supplied in 1926 by the County of London Electricity Supply Co. 93) Before the 19th century water supply came from wells and pumps. 94) In 1713 the parish vestry resolved to set up a street pump for the poor. It is said to have been built about 1690 by Sir Francis Dashwood, Bt., son of a Turkey merchant. 35) Matthew Wymondesold, owner in the mid 18th century, was a successful financier. 36) The estate was bought in 1759 by Humphrey Bowles, in whose family it remained for a century. 37) The house, at the junction of the Avenue and Grove Park, was rebuilt . As the Spread Eagle it is said to have existed in the 17th century, (fn. 49) The growth and wealth of the parish in the 18th century was also reflected in its public buildings. 50) Nearly all the new building in the 19th century was in the centre and north of the parish. 91) Electricity was supplied to the Aldersbrook area by East Ham borough council from . A common well on the heath (presumably Wanstead Flats) existed .